New Perspectives on Unique Garments and Amazing Accessories with StevenBe
28 August 2019
6pm – 9pm
Abel Tasman Mercure Hotel
Broaden your knitting horizons and change your life with StevenBe. This workshop is designed to be an amazing opportunity to have fun while learning Steven’s best tips and tricks. It will set you free from patterns as written and help you feel comfortable making your own modifications and design decisions. Allow StevenBe to help you release the hidden designer within. Experience the magic of mixology, taking a variety of yarns from different brands, weights, and fiber content to create magical and unique garments and elaborate accessories (such as the Shawlvest). Start with your own cut-out shape and a base pattern from Steven and learn different methods of creating angles and edges, using modular knitting to add to the shape, adding new colors, and combining fibers in unique ways to customize the pattern and truly make it yours.
What to Bring in Your Knitting Bag
- A work-in-progress or finished project for show and tell (the desire to be admired is not required—but it is recommended!)
- Minimum 3 yarns to work with, we love to experiment with finer weights like lace and fingering and fiber contents to be combined into a heavier weight. Yarns should be chosen and wound prior to class so we can begin immediately. More yarns can be added during class. Choose a color palette when bringing your stash to make it cohesive. An unusual element like wire or cassette tape or any continuous strand to use as “art fiber” in your creation is highly recommended.
- A skein of smooth worsted weight yarn and needles to match for experimenting and swatching techniques
- A variety of needle sizes will be needed so bring a good selection (we recommend an interchangeable set), even a crochet hook or two
- A notebook or design sketchbook to keep notes
- Steven’s goodie bag of most preferred notions, including stitch markers, tapestry needle, tape measure, and scissors
How New Perspectives Works
You will be guided by Steven on how to achieve your one-of-a-kind custom garment or accessory. Pattern foundation will be created and sample swatches will be knit. The workshop will begin with an exercise in knitting to shape without the use of written patterns. Review of increases, decreases, and short rows to create shape is integral to this step. Upon thorough understanding of the opening exercise, students will begin in-class project. Each student will begin his or her project in a corner, side, center, or top. You will be given direction and assignments to enable you to complete your project outside of the workshop.
New Perspectives Homework
We recommend that you practice with your chosen yarns and needles for a sampler swatch. Cast on 20 stitches and experiment with your various yarns by using them individually and also combining them on a variety of needles to find your ideal fabric. This will acquaint you with the direction you would like to go with your design. These swatches will be assessed in the beginning of the workshop by Steven to provide design direction.
Provided for the class:
Paper for drawing shapes
Pens and pencils